We must traverse this short bridge to enter the basalt tower, if it holds up long enough…
Caelar has gone off the deep end and is past the point of no return. Her remaining few followers attempt to talk sense to her to no avail. Any peaceful resolution, if there ever was one, is gone…
Thrix guards the massive door to the basalt tower. His master apparently doesn’t want to stop us, but merely delay us so we can’t interfere with its plan for Caelar. He’ll summon a group of fiends to occupy us, destroy them.
- We can attempt to kill Thrix (10000 xp, massive door opens). This requires attacking Thrix while his summoned fiends are present.
After we have destroyed the wave of fiends Thrix tells us he is weary of serving his master, especially after the ordeal with Crenshinibon (ringing any bells?). He tells us that he might let us pass if he believes we could slay his master.
Since nothing comes free in the Hells, Thrix offers us a wager for one of three items that may aid us in fighting his master. If we win, we pick one of the items. If we lose, Thrix will take one of our companions for his collection to torment. He will offer us a riddle to solve (it’s so easy it doesn’t warrant mention).
- We can threaten/anger Thrix (summons more fiends, teleports).
- We can agree to allow one of our companions to be wagered.
- If we answer correctly, we’ll get to choose between the Tongue of Acid +3, The Guardian Devil, or Echo of the Fiend +3.
- If we lose, our companion’s (or CHARNAME’s) soul is marked by Thrix and he will collect when they meet their end.
- We can attempt to threaten or attack Thrix, but he will teleport or summon more fiends and teleport.
- We can offer our own life.
- Same conditions as above.
- We can refuse.
- More fiends are summoned, Thrix teleports, and we miss out on one of three rewards.
Editor’s note: In a group with Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid, Jaheira, and Glint, Thrix’s choices were limited. Khalid refuses to allow him to take Jaheira. Minsc refuses to let him take Dynaheir. Jaheira refuses to allow him to take Khalid. Dynaheir refuses to allow him to take Minsc. Glint…not so fast!
The tower awaits…